Museum Gunung Api Merapi / Merapi Volcano Museum is geo tourism of Yogyakarta and as sustainable education and conservation media and as a mean to develop volcanology, quake and other disasters science.
This museum is located on slope of Mt Merapi, notably at Jalan Boyong, Banteng village, Hargobinangun, Pakem, Sleman, The building covers 4 470 sqm on 3.5 hectares area, completed with parking area, green zone, and plaza. This museum is called as the window of the earth.
Information available in this museum are:
1. Information related to volcano. quake and land movement science, that are part of geology dinamic, and this information can be seen in forming and mechanism model, and processes
2. Volcano phenomenon information as result of geological process and appear to earth surface as range of volcanoes, volcano geological structure, post eruption materials.
3. Volcano, quake, tsunami, land movement mitigation information, presented in monitoring, research, early warning, mitigation system, including securing locals from volcano, quake and land movement danger threat.
4. Volcano source information, as a potential mean of prosperity and infrastructure development.
5. Socio-cultural information such as life style, culture, tradition, myth, and other information related to environment and the existence of volcano.
The rooms of the museum has various themes, such as Volcano WOrld, ON the Merapi Volcano Trail, Manusia dan Gunung Api (Human and Volcano), Bencana Gempa Bumi dan Tsunami (Earthquake and Tsunami Disaster), Bencana Gerakan Tanah (Land Movement Disaster), Diorama, Survey Equipment, Extra-terrestrial Volcano , Film Show.
This museum was officially opened in October 1st 2009 by The Minister of Energy and Mineral Sources, Purnomo Yusgiantoro. .