Monumen Jogja Kembali or popular as Monjali was built in June 29th 1985, signed by traditional ceremony of burying bull head and officially the construction started by Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono IX and Sri paduka Pakualam VIII. The idea was delivered by Kolonel Sugiarto, as the mayor of Yogyakarta.
Jogja Kembali was an icon of historical event when Dutch withdrew its troops from Yogyakarya, the capital city of Indonesia in June 29th,1949 as the symbol of the end of colonialism.
The monument has cone shape, consists of 3 floors and the construction was finished in 4 years and officially opened in July 6th 1989 by President Soeharto. This 31.8 meters high monument is administratively located in Jongkang village, Sinduadi. Mlati, Sleman. The cone design symbolizes mountain, the source of fertility beside also conserve and maintain pre-historic culture of ancestors. The location was chosed for Yogyakarta culture. The monument is located on an imaginary line that connects Gunung Merapi, Tugu, Kraton, Panggung Krapyak and Parang Tritis beach. This line is known as macrocosmos axis or Big Axis of Life. The imaginari spot in the monument is at the tha flag pole in the third floor. On the monument yard there is a cannon with 60 mm caliber made in Russia, while the front yard there is the replica of planes in the incident of Jogja Kembali.
In front of the monument there is a memorial with heroes name list, 422 heroes that died in Wehrkreise III region from December 19th 1948 to June 29th 1949, Krawang Bekasi.
The monument is surrounded by pond. On the first floor there are 4 rooms that displayed replicas, photos, document, heraldic, weapons, and emergency kitchen that delineate the atmosphere of physic war in 1945-1949. Visitors can see General Soedirman palanquin, uniforms, horse cart. One room at the first floor is used for library saving collections of Independence struggle of Indonesia and can be utilized by public. The multi-functional room is in the middle of the first floor equipped with open stage. Every Saturday, Sunday this room hosts various of attractions such as classical dance, gamelan, and patriotic and nostalgic song. Beside that wedding reception, seminar, graduation and other events can be held here.
The second floor there are physical struggle reliefs and diplomatic struggle of Indonesian since August 1945 till December 28 1949. The reliefs are General Mayor Meyer that threatened Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono on March 3rd 1949 and other leaders to return to Yogyakarta, Sri Sultan HB IX stated that Yogyakarta was part of Republic Indonesia, Independence Celebration at Kraton Yogyakarta.
Inside the second floor there are 10 diorama of physical and diplomatic struggle since19 December 1948 to 17 August 1949 with life size. The diorama is started with Dutch Military Aggression to enter Yogyakarta to regain control over Yogyakarta. The Dutch troop was led by Captain Van Langen that succeed to take over Maguwo airport (Now Adisucipto airport) on 08.00. At 16.00 Dutch took over the entire city and other important buildings such as President Palace, Benteng Vredeburg. From that day on, the struggle to regain Republic Indonesia began. The diorama showed the patriotism of General Soedirman who was very ill of lung sickness, but he kept leading physical battle though President Soekarno asked him to stay with him.
March Assault on March 1949 led by Lieutenant Colonel Soeharto for political, psychological and military reason where Indonesia spread the news of its existence to the world. This assault was spread by AURI by PC 2 code at Banaran, Playen, Gunung Kidul, and even reached Burma, India and RI Representative in UN. Sri Sultan HB IX coordinated the withdrawal of Dutch troop in 29 June 1949 and in 7th May 1949 it was ended with Roem-Royen Agreement.
The third floor is Garbha Graha or the silent room. There is flag pole with Sang Merah Putih or The Red and White in the middle of the room. There is a relief of hand as physical struggle and diplomatic struggle as hand holding pen.
The monument opens from Tuesday to Sunday from 08.00 to 16.00. On school holiday it opens from 08.00-14.00 on Monday.