This temple is located in Karangbesuki Village, Dau, Malang, East Java, just 5 km from the city center. Candi badut also known as Candi Liswa, found in 1923 by an archaeologist. This temple is estimated to be erected before the reign of King Airlangga, period when temples in East Java initiated to build. Candi Badut is the oldest in East Java, several experts reckon the temple was built according to King Gajayana from Kanjuruhan Kingdom. In Dinoyo inscription, 760, found in Merjosari village, Malang, the center of Kanjuruhan Kingdom is located in Dinoyo. Now, the inscription can be seen in National Museum, Jakarta. The inscription also mentions about King Dewasimba and his non, Liswa, that reigned during the heyday of the Kingdom. Liswa was titled as King Gajayana that was humorous or in Javanese mbadhut, and that was how the temple got its name, as the temple was built by his order. But until today, there is no written evidence about that opinion.
This temple not only old, but also has other characteristic that differs from other temples in East Java. The Kalamakara that ornaments the temple door is not like East Java temple style, that usually only the upper jaw, but the kala has upper and lower jaw like in Central Java. The temple body part is big curvy not slim, similar as Centra Java style, the shape resembles as temple in Dieng, Central Java , so does the symmetric relief. Though Agastya statue has not been found here, the temple is said to be Siva temple.
The temple is made of andesit stone, on a 2 m foundation. The foundation is simple, plain, and a hallway of 1 m width surrounds the temple. On the left of the foundation’s front part, Javanese letters is carved.
The stairs toward the hallway on the foot part is located on the west side, notably before the main chamber. The stairs’ fence wall, is decorated with creeping plant that encircle a man playing flute. The entrance to the chamber is completed with a 1.5 m foyer, with kalamakara carved on the entrance.
The chamber is occupied with Lingga and Yoni, symbol of fertility. On the wall, there are tiny niches that seem to be placed with statuary.
Temple’s wall is decorated with bird with human head and is plating flute. The 4 side of wall are completed with niches, and also decorated with flower, and bird with human head. Outside of the north wall, there is Durga Mahisasuramardini, in damaged condition. On the south, and east, there should be Siva and Ganesha, that are already gone.
Restoration had been done in 1925 – 1926, but due to missing parts, the temple was not restored completely. On the west yard, there is other foundation has not been restored yet, and still in pile of stones.